Start a new topic

This is a rant. Read at your own risk.

Hi,

first off: I am grateful for you guys to have created OCTGN. And more so that you keep it running.

It generally speaking is an awesome piece of software you have there.

But, unfortunately, that's not what I came here to write about.

I came here to ask you to stop screwing things up. Please.

Not necessarily from a "software defect" point of view. Although I really like to play local matches and you guys really seem to like to mess this feature up (admittedly not for quite a while, now).

But I can live with that. After all, those things aren't intentional. So besides pointing out when something is broken I don't think there is a need to elaborate this topic.

What really grinds my gears is how you overhaul a completely functional and rather usable Deckbuilder into something I get tendinitis in my mouse arm after building half a deck.

You know, there is a reason most commercial software products which are targeting heavy users (like, say, Photoshop, every CAD program there is, even Microsoft's Office suite. you name it) offer keyboard navigation.

That's called usability.

I can see why you would want to change a few things with the old Deckbuilder. I'd change a few things there as well.

But why did you take away the possibility to use the keyboard in any effective manner? Or am I just too stupid a user to see how that works now?

Besides, what's the point in having all those filters I can set in such a confusing order and position? Every single one of them having a different size? Really?

But you know what?

I can deal with that. I mainly play A Game of Thrones, so I just switched to cardgamedb.com for deckbuilding, as that site luckily offers an octgn export.

So a while ago, you obviously must have thought by yourself: "Oh my, that chat window just looks like every other chat window there is in the world. That's not good, we want to be special!"

So you put (probably) a lot of work into reinventing the wheel.

Only that the result more looks like an octagon than a circle.

Sure, you can chat with that thing. It's just in no way superior to the previous solution.

In fact, quite the contrary.

You can't read a damn word of what was written unless you hit Enter, which opens a perfectly fine chat window … right in the middle of the screen … so that … ummm … well, you can't see the board so good … I guess …

And of course, every time a new message comes in, that message as to bounce around a little. Just because it can!

Otherwise people might be able to read it as soon as it is there! That'd be disastrous!

Hey, how about you use a few more colors with the least possible contrast!

Here, take those two: #5a5a5a as background, #8a2be2 as font color.

Using the W3C's method for calculating contrast this gets and 2.267 for brightness and a 231 for color difference.

Where >125, respectively >500 is a "passing score".

Oh, wait! You DO use those colors!

Awesome!

Maybe add some more Red/Green contrasts on the page, so that people with dyschromatopsia don't have such an easy time using your software!

You guys are either really evil people, or just a few guys who have no idea about usability.

If the former is the case: Well done! I'd say: mission accomplished!

If the latter is the case: Maybe start thinking about why the whole world is doing something in a specific way. And stop thinking what you could do differently.

(Really, a lot of people already put a lot of thoughts into how to design a chat window or a form to filter data. Use that knowledge!)

Thank you for bearing with me.

Stop screwing things up. Please.

Here are the swear words that are missing from above text. Insert where appropriate: damn, fucking, fuck, shit, fuck, dumb, shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits, fart, turd and twat

1 Comment

What really grinds my gears is how you overhaul a completely functional and rather usable Deckbuilder into something I get tendinitis in my mouse arm after building half a deck.

You know, there is a reason most commercial software products which are targeting heavy users (like, say, Photoshop, every CAD program there is, even Microsoft's Office suite. you name it) offer keyboard navigation.

We didn't actually, and we actually added a ton of keyboard shortcuts to the deck editor. J, K, Up, Down, +, -, number keys, enter, delete, tab, escape, and others I can't think of right now. It's actually set up in a similar fashion to vi as far as navigation(vaguely similar).

As for the rest it's mostly non constructive. So please reformat this into something that other will find useful, or it doesn't belong here. The point of our forums is for people to find help and get support from other users. I'm sorry you're upset, but this isn't the type of content that helps people.

Login to post a comment