Start a new topic

Official Request For Macintosh Support

Macintosh users should join this thread to show your support for the OCTGN team building a Macintosh version. More importantly, indicate what level subscriber you are signed up for. I'll start off with the general format.

I support the request for an OCTGN Macintosh version.

Glen Lawson - Gold Member since October 2013 

Edit from moderator

We will make a mac client at some point, but the following information is for users that want to run it on a mac before then.

5 people like this idea

I would definitely sign up as a subscriber if there was a MAC version. I have finally been able to figure out running OCTGN on my MAC via WINE. However, I have yet been able to make it through a full game without being disconnected so long (more than 5 minutes) that the other player quits. I've tried three games (AGoT), couldn't finish any of them. Also, I can't read the cards in the zoom-in view because it only shows half of the first line only of the text. This is the only way to play AGoT online and I really wish I could participate.

I've looked at getting Parallels but at 80€ it is too much money for me because this is the only thing I'd be using it for.

Thanks so much!

OCTGN was designed with the .NET framework at its core, which essentially means that it's locked into windows-only support.  Going cross-platform with OCTGN in its current state would mean having to remove all of the .NET elements, but since it's so ingrained into the codebase, the devs would need to actually rewrite OCTGN from the bottom up.  That's what the overall goal of the feature funding campaign was for -- rewrite all of OCTGN from scratch with cross-platform as the top priority.

I doubt it is even being worked on any more at this point. Note the inactivity of the thread. The default answer (If you even get one) is it will run on VmWare, Parallels, VirtualBox or WINE. The frustrating and sad part is, most Mac users will tell you the above programs are buggy and don't often reliably work well. I just don't think native support for our machines will ever be a reality. In fact I bet tablet support happens first. I honestly don't think the OCTGN support/design staff care that a major chunk of players can't access or run their program native. :(  

:( It is likely never to happen..... The game designers don't seem to care that a huge chunk of people can't run the program native on their machines. The default answer is "We can run OCTGN on VirtualBox, VmWare, Parallels or WINE." I am doubtful a MAC version is even being worked on or planned any more given the major inactivity of this particular thread. That said, it is sad because any Mac user knows, its difficult and often times very buggy to even get the above programs to work properly half of the time......

I've been saying this for ages. It needs to happen. The code is basically the same as linux. JUST! DO IT!!!

+1
+1 been keen on this for over a year now.  Would love to have OCTGN for Mac

I want Netrunner on my Mac!!!   :D

+1 Mac please. Best idea ever.
Yup

Hi,

Well, I'm using Winery to create blank wrappers, so no risk of mono being installed. Had some problems installing vcrun2010, turned out there was a dependency missing (msxml3, which is not indicated in the wiki but got added to the script you were mentioning). Fiddled around but still end up with a critical error. Oh well...

We have multiple sources of octgn working correctly with wine. I would dig a little bit harder. You can even google search and find a play on linux script for it. One of the more common mistakes is someone having Mono installed on their wine, if you have mono in your wine, it won't work.

I tried to get it working through wine but to no avail, despite having ported several games myself through winery. I would definitely support the development of a Mac version!
Can anyone help me with running octgn on Mac with virtualization? In Parallels it seems to run ok, but I can't login. With VMware it crashes before I can even try to log in.

Thank you everyone for supporting this thread!

I wanted to cover two items with everyone here and future supporters to this thread.

First, I recommend you still get OCTGN by the following two means: try run a program on your Macintosh to support OCTGN or buy a cheap Windows desktop/laptop. 

I decided to buy a refurbished HP laptop running Windows 8 to solely run OCTGN and Norton 360. Sadly enough this laptop struggles to run OCTGN as it crashes frequently and OCTGN Support were not able to help me the second time after solving the first reason for the program crashing. This whole experience reaffirmed my love and support of Apple. I didn't want to run OCTGN on my Macintosh as I don't want anything Microsoft running on my Macintosh laptop. I am not interested in risking creating any problems on my Macintosh. But with all that said, maybe your experience will be better than mine and it's worth it. I just LOVE playing Netrunner, The Spoils, and Magic The Gathering on OCTGN when it works!

The second item is that once you are able to run OCTGN, please seriously consider becoming a subscriber to show your support and then let them know in this thread that you are a subscriber requesting Macintosh support. Only that way will the OCTGN team rightfully seriously consider our request.

Thank you again!

Login to post a comment